Princess of the Couch (AKA How I Fell Off My Bike)

28 May

This is the story all about how my life got flip, turned upside down. And I’d like to take a minute, just sit right there.  I’ll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air a moany and groany fixture on the couch for the day.

This morning around 4am my stomach started aching. Couple that with my sore muscles from Thursday’s Power Sculpt class, and I woke up a couple times throughout the night.

My stomach was still aching in the morning, feeling like it was being tied and untied into a very complicated military grade knot. I decided to be the toughest form of myself and go about my business.

I had a 3.5 mi run planned before meeting a group from church for a 10 mi bike ride. I had been looking forward to this ride for weeks.

I was not sure about my run though. I was nervous.

Iron-Jesse, my running coach/brother-in-law, thinks that I worked myself up into being sick. It was on my mind all night while at work.

I text Jesse and told him that I was intimidated by running and then going out on the bike.

He replied, “Nah, as long as the ride is nice and easy. And don’t push on the run, just stay relaxed and enjoy the morning and some music. It’s ok to walk, if need be. Break it down any way you need to cover it. Just start out nice and easy, your body will find a comfortable rhythm and pace as you settle in.”

After I picked up my bike from Chris and Jesse’s house, I felt a bit more calm.  After I found where I was going, I felt more secure. After I got started, my stomach started feeling better.

The first 1.75 went well. I stopped and got a drink before heading back. After about .5,  I started feeling weak. I ended up walking a lot of the last 1.5 or so, and not fast at all.

I was disappointed with the run.

But I was hopeful about the bike ride ahead. I had managed to eat a banana and a granola bar in on the way out to White Rock Lake. I tried to eat a little something after, but could not stomach even a couple bites of a date.  I was drinking water though.

I met up with my group, who were eating at a local restaurant. After they ate, we headed out.

By this time it was about 11:30, and my stomach was still knotting up occasionally.  Since, I was not throwing up or running to the restroom I was not too concerned.

On the way down a hill toward the lake, I was telling someone that I knew that I would likely fall eventually, but I hoped it would be later than sooner.

Just as we went through the gate and onto the course we hit a patch of sand. I was focusing more on the sand than my relation to the guy next to me. I clipped his tire… and down I went.

I landed on my elbow, hip, knee, and hand.  I had some tiny cuts, but no missing skin. While I did not hit my head, I was extremely dizzy for a while.  I stood up quick and brushed myself off. Someone took my bike from me, as I started wavering side-to-side. I began stepping around, trying to keep my balance.  Then I just took a seat on the grass.

When I finally felt composed, my stomach was in knots of all shapes and sizes.

I was about 50 feet from my car, so I told everyone to join the others and sat for about 20 minutes to rest.

An older couple, resting in the shade checked on me occasionally and even gave me a wipe to clean off my arm and leg. I was covered in dust!

I finally mustered the strength to get my bike back in the car.  I text Jesse and then called Christina.  Almost as soon as she answered big crocodile tears began pouring down my cheeks.  I am not sure why I was crying.

More than anything my pride was hurt. I have not gotten hurt much in my life, as I have not been a risk taker in any way.  This is all so new to me.

By the time I got home, I felt awful.  I ended up falling asleep in the car for a few minutes, because it was so nice and toasty in the car. But, my sister called my mom and she came out to the car looking for me. She took me in. I showered and deposited myself on the couch.

Blue Gatorade and off brand saltines were my sustenance. I can not tell you the last time I had either of those. They did the trick today though.

I am feeling a bit better now, though scratched and bruised and living off of refined and processed food.

The guy I clipped with my tire checked on me earlier and asked if I will be getting a bike restraining order on him… but this really was entirely my fault.

Falling is always a possibility when cycling… I will be back on my bike as soon as possible.

For now, I am enjoying movies that I have on the DVR, and lounging about.

Oh, the adventures I will surely have on that bike.


4 Responses to “Princess of the Couch (AKA How I Fell Off My Bike)”

  1. D'oshnie Smith May 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

    I fell all the time on my bike ! Your gonna make me buy one for the summer !


  1. Lunchtime Ramblings « weightsandmeasures - July 26, 2011

    […] I hear we are doing a 5k! No big deal… but I have to consider that only a few months ago a 3.5 mile run had me all worked up and nervous! […]

  2. Familiar « weightsandmeasures - September 4, 2011

    […] I made it through the first 2.5 miles of dragging myself along when a major case of stomach cramps hit.  I felt like my stomach was in a knot. That sounds a little familiar. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: